History

Photo: Charles Berkey (standing, back row, far right) and members of the Boosters' Club, Detroit, Mich., in the late 1800s. Many from this group became members of the first Exchange Club.

Charles A. Berkey is credited with the founding of the National Exchange organization. At his suggestion, the name Exchange was selected because the group wanted to exchange ideas and information with like-minded individuals about how to better serve their communities.  

The first local Exchange Club was formed in Detroit, Michigan in 1911. The second was the Exchange Club of Toledo, Ohio formed in 1913. Subsequently, two others were organized in Grand Rapids, Michigan and Cleveland, Ohio. These four clubs were the first to be chartered by the National Exchange Club after it was organized as a nonprofit, educational organization in 1917. Since then, hundreds of clubs have been chartered in the United States and Puerto Rico, with nearly 28,000 members making a positive difference in their own communities everyday.

The Tri-Cities Exchange Club was chartered on a wintry January evening in 1979 at the Hotel Baker in St. Charles, starting decades of devotion for improving the lives of children and reminding citizens of the value of the freedoms they enjoy in this country.

We are America's Service Club. From our organization's earliest days, Exchange Clubs have been unselfishly serving their communities and improving the quality of life. The diverse array of Exchange-sponsored programs and projects has made a considerable impact on America, enhancing the lives of countless men, women and children across the nation. 

The National Exchange Club headquarters is located in Toledo, Ohio. 

For more information please visit The National Exchange Club website.

Attachments original 1445035712 historyphotos